Oregon requires (ORS 342.223. Chapter 584-050-0012) all teacher trainer students undergo the state Criminal History Background check process or provide proof of an active license prior to entering schools for field placement. Under the Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI) rules, fingerprinting is restricted to the specific institute for which they are taken and specifically prohibit sharing of this information between institutions.TSPC uses an online e-licensure application system to ensure the following are recorded:
1. Fingerprinting (checks Oregon and FBI criminal records)
2. LEDS (Law Enforcement Data System, the Oregon State Police database), and
3. Responses to Character Questions
See TSPC’s Fingerprint FAQ for state guidelines.
Completing this process could take between 4 to 8 weeks depending on your situation. Be sure to start early to ensure you are able to purchase your COE Professional Practicing ID Badge in time for the Start of your Field Experience in August.
|Summer Term Timeline||Activity|
|Week 1 & 2||All COE students assigned to field placement of any kind must complete a fingerprint-based criminal history check PRIOR TO their first term in the field. Start here: https://apps.oregon.gov/TSPC/eLicense|
|Week 3-4||Complete Fieldprint Fingerprinting process|
|Week 6-7||Upload TSPC approval email with name & clearance date to COE qualtrics form|
|Week 8-9||Purchase Practicing Professional ID Badge from the EMU card office prior to Fall September Experience|
- Note: All Educational Foundations undergraduate alumni are required by TSPC to complete a new clearance check for the graduate level student practicum.
- Candidates without a Social Security Card (SSC) number (e.g. Int’l, Dreamers) are able to apply for the TSPC background check but must email TSPC at email@example.com directly to request a substitute number. It’s not necessary to give a reason; all they have to say is that they don’t have an SSN.
5-Step Completion Process: Connecting State -> Fieldprint -> COE ->Badge Office
- Step 1 – TSPC Clinical Practices Application ($71.00)- https://apps.oregon.gov/TSPC/eLicense
- Step 2 – Fieldprint Fingerprint Scanning (link in TSPC email, $12.50)
- Step 3 – Confirmation of TSPC Approval LookUp – https://apps.oregon.gov/TSPC/eLicense/Search/PublicSearch
- Step 4 – Upload verification to COE Authorizations Survey (Location TBD)
- Step 5 – Purchase your UO Practicing Professional card ($10.00) at EMU Card Office
Direct questions about the fingerprinting / background check process to TSPC directly or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Be a UO Card Carrying UOTeach Pre-Service Teacher!
After you have uploaded your evidence of TSPC practicum approval, the COE will submit this information to the UO EMU Card Office. Please not it typically takes one week for the card office to have your information before you can go to the EMU card office to purchase your COE Professional Practicing ID Badge (EMU ground floor). There is a $10 card fee.
- This badge is required and must be visible at all times during your Field Experience.
- Students placed in school districts or other agencies requiring background or security clearances in addition to those required to obtain a COE ID badge must comply with the policies and procedures of the school district or agency.
- The COE ID badges is valid for three years.
- Passing the TSPC clearance is required to continue with the UOTeach program.
Note, all students should have a Practicing Professional ID badge to enter their field placement site. EdF Elementary strand students with valid Practicing Professional ID badge are not required to pay the $10 for a new card.
Exception: Licensed teachers with prior Oregon TSPC approval must provide UOTeach with verification from https://apps.oregon.gov/TSPC/eLicense/Search/PublicSearch
Background Clearance – Fingerprinting – adapted from http://www.oregon.gov/tspc/pages/Fingerprinting.aspx